Saturday, March 7, 2009

What's the matter, Colonel Sanders? Chicken?



Yes, I know it is ridiculous to start my first blog with a quote from a Mel Brooks movie. But it actually does speak to my situation rather well.

As a brief introduction - my name is Shannon Barrett. I am in my early 30's and live in Plano, Texas with my wife, Lara. We own a small house in the older part of the city and very recently have become interested in raising 3-5 hens for eggs.

Plano is a northern suburb of Dallas and unfortunately does not allow citizen's to own chickens. This is fairly ridiculous considering that Dallas and several other local suburbs do allow chickens. I am hoping that this blog will provide the motivation and support for me to work towards making this change in my community.

Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

References:

http://plano.gov/Departments/Animal/Local%20Animal%20Information/Pages/ordinances.aspx

Under section -
Sec. 4-22. Livestock.
(d) It shall be unlawful to own or keep chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, peacocks, or guineas within the corporate limits of the city, except in agricultural zoned districts, lakes, and public park lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment